Thursday, October 28, 2010

Colorado Hit-Skip Attorney Suspended for 3-Years


In April I told you about Colorado attorney Jeffrey S. Detlefs (pic) who was convicted of vehicular assault, and hit-skip after striking a cyclist who by coincidence was a local public defender.

Detlefs was driving while drinking and his child was in his SUV.  In my April account I reported that he received a 9-year prison sentence.  This morning, the Legal Profession blawg reports that Detlefs received a 3-year license suspension, um Law license.   Here's link to the opinion syllabus and a link to the story at the Legal Profession blawg.

7 comments:

  1. The victim, a public defender stood up for the drinking driver lawyer so Detlefs did nominal jail time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nine years is hardly nominal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nine years, months. And he spent the next many years reneging, fighting the terms of the agreement, and essentially harassing the man who let his children grow up with their father. Gotta love that DA, too.

      Delete
  3. NS--

    A friend who covers these stories for Velonews (the definitive cycling mag)reports that Mr. Detlefs actually has been released despite the putative sentence.
    BL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave Jeff alone! He is a a good man that made a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "leave Jeff alone he is a good man that made a mistake" well I believe this man is disgusting, if you saw this monster of a man the day of the accident you would agree. I witnessed the whole thing and he was paraletic drunk and on another planet. One man is physically and surely mentally scarred, I along with other witnesses are mentally scarred. And most of all those 3 innocent children were horrifically distraught then let alone now 3 years after. I am apalled this MONSTER got off so lightly! Good men yes make mistakes but sorry to say but this was no mistake he was a lawyer he should know right from wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more! Houston DWI attorney

    ReplyDelete